There have been requests for recipes and this is the year we finally do that! I wanted to feature ones that are easy enough to actually get you to try them and Chef Rinah at Ri’s Munch has been kind enough to offer us not one but two ultra easy recipes for starters you can make at home in a matter of minutes.
Chef Rinah is a restaurateur, hotelier, private chef and founder of Ri’s munch a Boutique Catering Company that hosts private events such as restaurant pop ups, private dining as well as catering small events like anniversaries, graduation parties and more. The company also offfers private chef services.
By Rinah Kiiza
1. Baguette bread with a balsamic and olive oil dip
One of my favorite starters is the Olive Oil and Balsamic Vinegar Dipping Sauce paired with a hearty bread. I use Baguette bread. It’s this classic French bread that is crusty on the outside but buttery soft and chewy on the inside.
A traditional French baguette is made of flour, water, yeast and salt. It’s fascinating how these four simple ingredients produce a beautiful, flavorful, crusty baguette. What’s even more fascinating is how different bakers, using the same ingredients, can make baguettes that differ from each other quite substantially sometimes. However, you can just go out to your bakery and get a loaf. I buy mine from Carrefour.
Imagine dining at home with friends you haven’t hang out with in a while and starting lunch or dinner with this treat. It never fails to impress and your guests will ask for more. It’s a welcome snack at my Ri’s Munch Lunch/dinner parties and always gets my guests talking.
The trick to a great oil and vinegar dip is in the quality of the ingredients.
I use olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Add some herbs and you’ve got yourself a classy, eye pleasing, no effort starter.
- Balsamic vinegar
- Olive oil
- Thyme sprigs
- Crushed pepper corns
- Add olive oil and garlic to a shallow bowl or rimmed plate. Drizzle vinegar over top, then add fresh thyme sprigs herbs and pepper.
- Serve with a hearty, fresh baguette bread.
And if you are feel like adding some bruschetta, this is how to do it.
2. Tomato, Onion, Bruschetta
Classic Italian inspired Tomato bruschetta is a simple delicious healthy dinner appetizer made with fresh tomatoes, basil, oregano and olive oil.
This is yet another simple starter I love to serve at my private parties. Full of colour, flavor, texture and aromas, these ingredients are easy to find.
- Baguette bread sliced
- Unsalted butter
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 2-3 pinches salt
- Diced tomatoes (I remove the seeds and extra pulp)
- 1/2 red onion (chopped)
- 1 celery stalk (chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano
- 4-5 leaves fresh basil and parsley chopped
- Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- In a medium bowl mix together the chopped tomatoes, red onion, celery, salt, crushed black pepper, oregano, fresh basil and olive oil, if you like, a little drizzle of Balsamic vinegar is a tasty addition.
- Crush some garlic and mix it with the butter
- Slice the bruschetta and butter it
- Heat pan grill or BBQ to hot and keep temperature relatively high, place sliced bread and turn until toasted golden. Then top with the tomato topping, serve immediately.